The Weird

For week 4 I read American Psycho to cover both the old and new "weird".  Having already seen and enjoyed the movie I had certain expectations coming into the book. I think that Bret Easton Ellis achieved something in the book that the movie could only really scratch at. The book is written in current time "she is doing that, she is doing this" which, coupled with the first person perspective, gives an analytical view of the scene. I translated this later into a serial killer mentality. The movie attempts to do this at certain points in the movie such as the famous business card scene, but it cannot last forever.

I think weird is often intriguing because its job is to show us something we would never think of.  Nobody in their right mind would think of human centipede, but it exists. I even think elements of the weird pop up in other movies like "Alien". Who thought of the alien popping out of the guy's chest? I would even go so far to say that anything outside of the normal hack and slash movie is weird to an extent.